Your Skin is your Largest Organ & Here’s What you Should Know
Skin is your body’s coat. It protects you. It helps you stay warm when it’s cold, and cool when it’s hot. Your skin keeps all your insides in, from your heart and lungs to your blood and muscles. And unless it’s cut or damaged, it keeps stuff out, including germs and water. You also feel things through the nerves in your skin.
What’s the big deal about skin? Every gust of wind, cough and blast from an exhaust pipe hits our skin first. Biologically, our skin is our first line of defense. Culturally, skin defines much of our standard for beauty. Bright, youthful skin signals healthy and vitality. And, like every part of our bodies, skin responds to care and attention. Proper treatment can revitalize skin and slow the aging process, keeping skin healthier, longer.
When I went to school over 15 years ago, these topics were not really being talked about. Even so much as 2010, I had someone say to me when I told them their skin was their largest organ, she said in a monotonous tone, “I know you have said that before.”
It is becoming more and more apparent though that internal nutrition plays the biggest role in the skin looking good. I try to remind my clients that if your skin is looking poorly, imagine what your other organs that the skin is protecting are doing inside.
Throughout the T-zone on your face, you have more oil glands there than anywhere else on the human body, other than the underarms. (Which is why the underarms secrete sweat and grow hair to protect it)
There are a few factors I feel are most important.
1) First and foremost, WATER, your bodies are made of 75% water, drink it, replenish it, just do it! It not only helps all functions, but helps your oil glands function properly. When you don’t drink enough water, and live in a dry climate like Colorado, your skin becomes dehydrated. When the skin becomes dehydrated, the oil glands begin over compensating to give the face its proper moisture. They are not supposed to do this function, so they are doing it in a “survival mode” and therefore, not producing it evenly. This can cause dirt and oil to get stuck in the skin, in the form of blackheads and hardened sebum. Both are painful to remove. While there is no way to 100% avoid black heads, and clogged pores, unless you live in a bubble, water and proper nutrition can help prevent a lot. It will also aid in the removal of them when seeking professional treatment.
I recommend starting your morning off with two large glasses of water. It will enliven the body and being its craving process, as well as detoxify the body first thing in the morning.
2) Second thing that I think is most important which I am torn on, are your B vitamins. C is also as important. B vitamins give us energy and B 6 controls our hormones, which is a large source of acne. Something to remember, your body can not absorb any of the B vitamins, unless you are taking them all. Vitamin C is the best nutrient at helping you produce collagen. Need I say more?
3) Collagen helps keeps us looking younger and firmer. It also acts as a natural internal sunscreen. It also externally protects the skin from free radicals (pollution etc.) causing damage to the skin. I like people to get 2,000-3,000,mg a day. Remember the body can only absorb 1000 per hour. When you are getting sick, take 1000 an hour to help the protection process. Also good when flying at high altitudes.
4) Omegas, we all need the oils to have our internal moisture balanced. Beyond just water, oils and water are both necessary. Often people ask me about the dark circles under their eyes. Please do not let anyone sell you an eye cream that will fix this, they will not. This is a total omega deficiency and needs to be addressed internally.
Some of the most harmful things I see happening to skin are the following:
- Not washing your face before retreating to bed. Your skin (the protector) has been exposed to toxins, all day long, they need to be cleaned off properly and protected again prior to the organ having the opportunity to rest. Then it can perform its duties optimally.Second too much dairy…. This is a controversial subject and a very difficult one. I will have more links following from other articles, but the bottom line, mucus gets trapped in the skin, and dairy is the largest culprit.
- The way dairy is produced today, is in mass supply. This requires the cow’s utters to be stimulated numerous times a day. Causing irritation to the utters, this irritation that forms mucus and puss, gets in our dairy products and then is ingested.
- Causing clogged pores and often break outs in the skin.
These are some of the basic principles and issues I have noticed in my 15 years of practice. There are many more and we are discovering more and more as time goes on.
Having a regular facial on a monthly basis can aid in the skin being able to recover. Despite what advertising tell you on television and other media outlets, what my license entitles me to buy, can exfoliate at a higher level than anything that can be purchased over the counter. With my on going training and education, I combine ingredients to help the skin function at optimized levels. When it is not functioning with extra dead dry layers containing dry skin, bacteria etc, it can function properly. Therefore, also showing a healthier glow, and looking and staying younger, free from damage.
Some clients time-wise or financially can’t afford the ideal facial once a month, so then I suggest every other month. This gives the skin less time to build up impurities.
If that is still out of the budget, time-wise or financially, then I suggest, seasonally. Our hair, sinuses, everything adjusts with the season, so our skin is no different. I say, get the winter off your skin, clean the sunscreen out of your pores. This usually conveys what we are all doing.
For internal nutrition I carry a reputable line called Orenda, please visit www.orendainternational.com . For me, the products are extremely high quality and take a lot of the guess work out of internal nutrition. The ultimate pack is just that, Ultimate!
Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
-Ronna @ www.ronnaskin.com
“It is a rare pleasure to meet someone who is doing what she is clearly meant to do. Ronna is a consummate expert in skin care.”
“I put my complete trust in her recommendations of services and products, and I have always been amazed at her results.”
“One of the most knowledgeable estheticians I have met in this industry.”
“She really is the best esthetician I’ve ever been to and I’m an esthetician! She knows how to use her products and the facials are beyond delicious!”
“After many failed and unsuccessful facials at big salons, I was very skeptical when my fiance had surprised me with a facial for my birthday. Upon meeting Ronna, I instantly felt comfortable. She took her time when asking about my skin and what it was that I was hoping to accomplish. I have now received 3 facials from her and will continue to see her! My skin has drastically improved and I could not be more happy! So happy to FINALLY have found an esthetician who is sincere and genuine in wanting to make my skin better!”
“I’ve been a client for over 5 years. Ronna is absolutely amazing at what she does. With her expertise, she customizes your services to fit your needs as an individual. Her signature facials are my favorite. Her prices are very reasonable and her products work wonders! I wouldn’t go to anyone else! You will not be disappointed!”
“The online booking is the best! I can look at all available times and choose what works best for me. And super easy! Now if my dentist would do the same!”
“I have been going to Ronna for 10+ years. Ronna is amazing at what she does. She always knows what my skin needs and provides the best service and treatment. Ronna takes pride in what she does. She makes her clients feel great on all of her services she provides.”
“I cannot say enough good things about RonnaSkin. Ronna is amazing at what she does. I started to see her almost 9 months ago with awful skin. She used her knowledge and experience to provide me with effective treatments as well as provided me with a home routine that got my skin looking wonderful! On top of the great, quality services, RonnaSkin is also a fun place to be. All the ladies are great to be around. They make you feel comfortable and you always leave feeling better than when you arrived.”